Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Meat and Potato Men

Would the men in your family be totally satisfied with meat and potatoes...mine would....or at least my husband would. My 17 year old son decided  a little over a month ago that he was no longer going to eat meat. Ladies...this was a BIG shock!! Up until then my son could wolf down a steak before I could even get it on his plate.He always called himself a mean, meat eating machine. This did make my life easy because as long as I had some kind of meat in the house and a bag of potatoes they were happy.

Now I am always looking for recipes I think my 6'4 280 pound,size 13 shoe wearing son will eat. He is actually becoming a pretty good cook himself now that he can't pop a frozen meat lovers pizza in the oven!

Here is one of our favorite potato side dishes. It is quick, easy and seems we always have all the ingredients in the house. We really like it with eggs on a lazy Saturday morning, or with chicken, fish, grilled pork chops, and of course my husbands favorite meat loaf. We always make them when we are camping. I bet your men will like it too!!
















6 large potatoes or 3 baking potatoes ( I just usually cook one potato per person and if there are leftovers that's great too).
1 Large onion
4 tablespoons butter (yes I know....and you may need a bit more depending on the amount of potatos you use. But the flavor is amazing)
Salt and Pepper or Season salt...I like that better myself.

Wash and poke a few holes in your potato's.
Put them in the microwave and cook until fork tender.
While potatoes are cooking, cut your onions into rings and then cut in half.

Once potato's are done, cut them into bite size pieces.

In a large skillet put your butter, potato's and onions in. Salt and pepper or pepper and season salt to taste. Cover (or not...sometimes my potatoes are not soft enough when I take them out of the microwave) and let cook until onions and potatoes are tender.

I am linking to:
Not So Homemade
Little Brick Ranch-Foodie Friday
At The Picket Fence
I Heart Naptime
Debbiedoo's

12 comments:

  1. I love that kind of potatoes! Oh my, how does your son possibly not go around starving. I have a 5 foot 10 16 year-old who is think as a rail and I can't keep enough food in him. To think about how much he would eat, if he weren't eating meat is astonishing! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! And looks yummy. Okay I will just hae to try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a staple in our house. I love me some potatoes and onions...although I sub olive oil for the butter. So GOOD!!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cricket...I found you at Inspiration Friday. Your blog is so fun! What a find...and you could not have chosen a more perfect background. I have a few recipes on my blog...I'd like to add more but honestly I just don't cook that much anymore. It's just my husband and I now since our kids had the nerve to grow up! I'm a new follower and am going to look around some more. Come visit my blog if you have time and enter my giveaway. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe reminds me of my Gramps. it was one of his favs. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food photos today are gorgeous on the blogs and they are making me hungry. Thanks for a great post.
    Helen's Decor--I'm following you and hope you follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm those look delicious!! We're going to have to have these with some BBQ chicken this week! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw your pic on Debbie's party and I just wanted to say it looks so YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this photo of your potatoes when I was 'blog-surfing' and I had to come here to read about it! YUM! I wish I had that now!! Did you ever try roasting potatoes with Lipton Onion Soup Mix? The recipe is on the box. Try it, your husband and son will LOVE IT! The soup gives it a yummy flavor.
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. I meant the soup MIX gives the potatoes a yummy flavor! I don't want you to think that you have to make SOUP! (you mix the dry soup mix with oil and the potatoes...)
    gv

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! Love the recipe-can't wait to try it!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to stop by and let you know your recipe was featured on today's What's Cooking Wednesday!

    I hope you'll stop by and link up more great recipes :)

    ReplyDelete